Setting and accomplishing goals regularly is what helps users win at work. It keeps team members engaged, gives managers visibility into their reports’ work, and keeps the company aligned in pursuit of set objectives.
Goal setting is the foundation of effective work, so creating goals has to be simple and fast. We have streamlined the goal creation process into a single page, so users no longer need to click back through windows to review a goal. Now they can thoughtfully create goals in one view.
- Name your goal by clicking into the first input field titled “What is the name of your goal?”. To create an effective goal name use an active verb + outcome. For example: Hire 3 new salespeople in Q4.
- Enter in goal information now or start adding milestones. You'll notice a panel opening on the right when you type the name of a goal. Use this panel to describe the goal, align it to another goal, change the due date, add a category, and adjust your privacy settings. If you're creating goals for others in your company, you may change the owner by clicking the dropdown function and searching for team member names.
- Add goal detail information - some of these items may be required based on your company settings. We recommend putting in as much information in your goal even if it is optional for your environment.
- Category: If your company requires it, you must select a category for this goal. These are set by your administrator.
- Date range/period: These are defaulted to the end of the current quarter, but you can adjust the start and end dates. To edit either date, click to open the calendar and select a new date.
- Describe this goal: This section is great to use for any additional context, links to documents, or other notes that coworkers might find helpful.
- Alignment: Click the link Align this goal to another, and search for a person or goal you’d like this goal to contribute to.
- More Options: In here you’ll find Progress Settings, which allow you to set a target for your goal. For example if “Hit $100,000 in sales this quarter” is your goal then you can set the target here. You will also find Permission Settings where you can set your goal to ‘Private’ (only you and your manager can see this goal) or ‘Public’ which is the default setting (everyone in your company can view that goal). For more information about Permissions, check out this article.
- Finish your goal by clicking Submit after entering all goal information and milestones. Milestones are action items that measure progress - we encourage 3-5 milestones that contribute to your goal. Users can set different metric options on milestones to measure accomplishment using numbers, units, and types of progress.
Optionally, assign milestones to teammates who plan to assist with the goal by clicking on the circle/picture next to the milestone and selecting their name from the search bar. For more information, read Creating milestones.
That’s it! It’s a brand new goal.