The BetterWorks JIRA integration captures data from JIRA and automatically updates progress of your key results or milestones in BetterWorks every 30 minutes. Any JIRA issue can be supported in BetterWorks JIRA Integration, including including stories and epics.
The JIRA integration can track the progress of individual issues or large projects. Linking these items to a key result in BetterWorks via the integration can be accomplished in two ways:
- Manually adding issues via a basic search or JQL query
- Setting up a JQL query to capture all the issues matching the string
Anyone who uses JIRA to track tasks, features or projects in their workflow can benefit from this integration. For instance, engineers use it to show bugs that they have to squash and product managers use it to track the shipment of features by setting up a JQL query to capture overall progress.
Important: The BetterWorks JIRA integration is only available in our production environment and is managed by Admins and Super Admins. It is not available in demo, trial, or preview environments.
To add the JIRA integration to BetterWorks, you need to connect a JIRA user in the BetterWorks integration page.
- Create a JIRA user with the appropriate set of permissions for BetterWorks users. Read-only permissions are sufficient.
Users within BetterWorks will be able to see the JIRA issue, name, and resolution for every project that is available to that JIRA user. No other details from the JIRA instance are captured by BetterWorks.
For more information on creating JIRA users, read JIRA’s documentation.
- Navigate to the BetterWorks Integrations page by going to Admin > Integrations.
- In the JIRA integration section, click Set Up.
- If your JIRA installation is hosted by Atlassian (in the cloud): Enter the JIRA user’s login info and the JIRA server URL. The user password is automatically encrypted.
Note: Do not include your company's domain when entering the username. Instead of "email@example.com", enter only "john".
If your company hosts your JIRA instance (on premise): Enter the JIRA user’s login info and the target URL of your JIRA instance. The user password is automatically encrypted.
If your instance is behind a firewall, your IT department must determine a port to use and open it to allow BetterWorks access to your JIRA instance. Include the port number at the end of the URL (for example, http://JIRA.yourcompany.com:1234).
Alternatively, you can add the BetterWorks IP or URL address to your firewall’s whitelist, or whitelist proxy.betterworks.com. Contact our support team to learn how.
- Click Save.
- If you want to connect multiple JIRA instances, click Add another instance.
- When adding multiple instances, you can optionally enter names for each instance. The names will be used to allow users to select which instance to point to when setting up their milestones. If you do not enter names the for the instance, the domain of each instance will be used.
- Follow steps 1-6 for each additional instance.
That's it! The JIRA integration is ready to go. Just log out of BetterWorks and log back in to use it.
Here is a helpful video that talks about JIRA integration.
Important: In order to see the JIRA integration at work, you need to log out of your BetterWorks instance and log back in. The integration will not appear until you've logged out and logged back in.
The JIRA integration option can be found as follows:
1) Either click Create if you are creating a new OKR or click ... "Additional Actions" and then Bulk Edit for existing OKRs.
2) The JIRA integration option will be found only under key results (aka milestones).
If you have any questions regarding connecting BetterWorks to your JIRA instance, please reach out to our Customer Success team.