A BetterWorks Admin or Super Admin is a user who can support your goal setting program by doing things like:
- Changing between goal/milestone and OKR language
- Goal administration
- Managing users and departments
- Configuring goal assessments
- Generating reports
- Configuring Top Company Goals
- Enabling department-owned goals or user-generated groups
- Configuring notification emails
A BetterWorks Admin or Super Admin has access to the Admin tab in the top navigation bar.
To learn more about the differences between Admins and Super Admins, please read the article Understanding BetterWorks Admin abilities. If you a Super Admin and would like to add more Admins or Super Admins, please read the article Super Admin Permissions. You can also watch a clip from our training webinar to learn more.
If you are an Admin or Super Admin and you don't see the Admin tab, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The default language BetterWorks uses refers to goals and milestones, not objectives and key results. If your company uses OKR language and you would like BetterWorks to reflect this, please go to Admin > OKR Naming Options. From there, you can select Goals and Milestones or Objectives and Key Results.
All Admins can edit public goals in the system. If there are outdated, obsolete, or otherwise unnecessary goals, an Admin can edit or remove them.
Additionally, Super Admins can view, edit, or delete private goals in the system.
BetterWorks allows Super Admins to create, update, and deactivate users and departments, either manually or in bulk. Watch a clip from our training webinar to learn more.
Each user can belong to a single department or group and that group can be used in filtering.
As a Super Admin, you can manually edit a user's:
Users can be deactivated. Deactivating a user results in the user's access being removed. Deactivated users can be reactivated. For more information, read What happens when an admin deactivates a user.
Super Admins can also manually manage their organization's groups. You can create new groups, or edit the groups:
- Parent group
- Group type
Manage in Bulk with CSV
In order to bulk upload users or groups, you will need to load data into specific user.csv or department.csv files. The .csv template columns are name and case sensitive so we advise that you use the provided templates as guides. Watch a video from our training webinar for more information.
The purpose of this template is to populate your BetterWorks account with your organization structure. Include the following information:
- Column A: Name of the department
- Column B: Type indicates your company structure; is what you listed in Column A considered a department? division? organization? business unit? etc (most people enter “Department”)
- Column C: Parent references the group/org of the item listed in Column A. For example, “Recruiting” may have a parent of “Human Resources.” You may leave this ﬁeld blank if there is no parent for the dept/org. Please include all parents as its own line item as well. In the example above, “Human Resources” will also need to be listed, with no parent listed.
The purpose of this template is to populate or update your BetterWorks account with your employees’ information. Include everyone who will be using BetterWorks.
- group_name (What department is this person a part of?)
You may leave the title field blank if this does not ﬁt into your company’s structure.
When you're uploading users and departments, keep these best practices in mind:
- The CEO of a company cannot have a manager
- When you upload users with departments, the departments you list must already be present in BetterWorks. Upload the departments CSV before you upload a users CSV.
- If users have manager emails listed in their information, the manager must have an account in BetterWorks
- Do not leave blank spaces or trailing punctuation (For example: ",,,,")
Goal assessment allows you to rate the performance of a goal iteratively, or when you complete that goal. You can configure goal scoring to use one of several rating approaches:
- Number scale: Configurable numbers; default is zero to ten.
- Smileys: Happy to sad
- Colors: Green through red
Admins can decide if they want to make goal scoring mandatory, optional, or disabled completely. Learn more about configuring assessments by watching a clip from our training webinar.
Admins can generate a number of reports to monitor system usage and adoption.
Admins can generate:
- A goal Adoption Report for the user and all employees that report to the user, to assess the user's adoption of the platform.
- A Company Summary Report for all groups.
- A Provisioned User Report for all employees.
- A User Goal Activity Report for all employees.
- A Status Report of Goals that includes comments for goals selected for the report.
Generated reports will be automatically emailed to your login email address when complete.
By default, goal ownership is tied to one and only one user. However, you can choose to enable department ownership, if everyone in the department is collaborating on an initiative. Please note that Milestones are still owned by one user. You may contact email@example.com to enable department ownership of goals.
Enabling user-generated groups
Users can create their own teams to concentrate goals around a specific project or initiative. Groups can own goals, just like departments. Milestones are still owned by one user. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to enable user-generated groups.
Top Company Goals are goals that have been highlighted as the most important goals in your organization. They are called out on the landing page and in Charts, and are visible to all your BetterWorks users. When defined, they provide focus for the organization, and the ability for users to see how their goals contribute upward to what’s most important. Watch a clip from our training webinar for more information.
Admins have the ability to define which goals should be highlighted as Top Company Goals by the search bar. You can also update Top Company Goals at your organization's quarter or year end.
BetterWorks leverages email to communicate important goal-related events. During system configuration, you may elect to disable all notifications. After you're ready to launch BetterWorks, you can enable notifications and define a preset configuration of enabled communications. Watch a clip from our training webinar for more information.