Remember: If you have a question that is not answered here, feel free to email Support@betterworks.com.
What is the difference between a task, a goal, and a project?
You probably work with tasks, goals, and projects every day.
- A task is something you do.
- A goal is something you want to achieve, a desirable outcome.
- A project or initiative is usually a combination of tasks with an intended goal.
You can find some sample goals by function here.
What is the goal list page?
The goals list page allows you to see the lifecycle of your goal and perform all the regular goal interactions easily:
- View progress
- Check in
- Edit permissions
- Edit progress settings
- View goal alignment
- Assess goals
- Leave comments
Contributing goals are confined by the dates of the parent goal. For example, the parent goal has an end date of 9/30/2017. If you try to set the end date for your contributing goal to something past 9/30/2017, you will get a error message that says, "End date must come before parent end date of 9/30/2017."
How many goals should I have?
During a typical period, like a quarter, you should be working to achieve 5-7 goals. Too many goals can detract from overall progress, so focus on what's really important.
You can reassign goals or milestones you own, goals or milestones that your direct reports own, or any items in the platform where you are marked with "Editor" permissions.
- Navigate to the goal list page and find the goal or milestone you want to reassign
- Click on the picture/initial pane next to the name of the goal or milestone
- Search for the new owner's name and click on it
- After clicking on the name, it will save your changes and the ownership transfers to the person you selected.
Note: Once you reassign the goal, you won't be able to edit the goal and reassign it unless the new owner reports to you, or if you have editor permissions on the goal.
How do I edit an old comment?
You can edit a comment that you left by hovering over the upper right hand corner of the comment box and selecting the pencil icon. Remember, the option to edit a comment only lasts 24 hours. After that, only admins will be able to edit comments.